We have already entered Autumn and finally we begin to notice the change of weather, the cold begins, the wind… and we get back to shelter.
Let’s remember that this season begins to be noticed from the beginning of September (that begins the meteorological Autumn) until the beginning of December, where the meteorological Winter would begin, although the Winter season does not arrive until December 21 (approximately).
So we experience Autumn in the months of September, October and November. During these months Vata is unbalanced because it has been accumulating during the Summer (because of the dryness that produces heat). So in this season we have to keep this very volatile dosha under control.
This is also a season of “finals”, where the leaves fall and the animals prepare for the winter cold. A season to finish and close projects, to prepare for winter. A season of serene farewells, of quiet walks to work on detachment. A time to get rid of everything we don’t use, obsolete ideas, dead thoughts, empty relationships, etc.
We have to detach ourselves from everything that weighs on our back and preparing to stay warm home in winter.
During this season it is important to carry out the following routines, especially not to let this Vata increase and make us sick.
- If we can we get up early, around 6 am, when the air is calm and the birds have not risen. There is an extraordinary silence at this time.
- You can recite a prayer in thanksgiving with Mother Earth, or a mantra that you especially like, the Gayatri mantra is an option. You recite it three times a day, at sunrise, at noon, and at sunset.
- Then we will clean our body, do our natural needs, wash our face and hands, as well as our teeth and tongue.
- We will have a glass of hot water with honey, fresh ginger and lemon.
- If we have not had a satisfactory bowel movement, we will sit back in the bath, to stimulate the action of elimination in us, if we do that every day the body will get used to it and soon it will be satisfactory.
- Session of Yoga and pranayama, for example alternating nostrils breathing, Nadi Shodana.
- Then, before the bath, we will spread warm sesame oil on our body, from head to toe. This helps us balance Vata.
- We will take a hot bath.
- We will dress in warm colors to pacify Vata such as red, yellow and orange.
- We’ll have a hot, unctuous lunch, such as oatmeal, cream of rice, wheat, or any cereal that helps Vata. For lunch and dinner, tortillas, chapatis, basmati rice, mung beans, steamed vegetables … Salads are not recommended. Soups are also suitable.
- We should not drink black tea or coffee after eating. Better try the infusions of cumin-coriander-fennel or ginger-cinnamon-clove.
- Fasting is not appropriate at this time of the year, if it is done as much half a day, because it gives the body too much lightness, which increases Vata.
- Make sure you are warm. Wrap yourself up both outside and inside buildings, in windy weather protect your ears and head.
- Active and vigorous sport should be avoided, at least by Vata individuals.
- A nap after a meal goes well in autumn.
- Try to be in bed by 11:30 pm.
- Drinking a glass of milk before going to bed is good for this season, it induces sleep. The milk should be heated to the boiling point and allowed to cool. You have to add some ginger powder, cardamom and a pinch of nutmeg. These herbs are hot and softening, and help us make milk lighter (so that it does not cause Kapha) and more digestible.
- Between Summer and Autumn is a good time to cleanse the body. As it is difficult to access an Ayurvedic clinic, we recommend a simpler but equally effective home purification. If you are interested in knowing how you can get in touch with us.
- Enemas help to calm Vata, lubricate the colon and remove stress from the lower back. You can make an enema once a week during a month of autumn, with sesame oil. If you are interested in knowing how you can get in touch with us.
- During this season special care should be taken to avoid loud noises, loud music, doing things quickly or a lot of sexual activity. Avoid currents and cold winds. All this unbalances Vata.